Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Dumping the Noisy Mind Monkeys

I started a practice of writing regularly recently, whatever is going on in my mind, I just write it all down (similar to the practice that Julia Cameron describes in The Artist's Way). I just ramble and I quite quickly get to around 1800 words ( I do it in Microsoft Word and I like to see how many words it is). I don't look at it again and I don't edit it. I literally just dump whatever is going through my mind. It is great, I feel lighter at the end of it and I know I could go back to it if I want to, not that I have wanted to.

Interestingly enough I just found this quote by Julia Cameron: “Procrastination is not Laziness", I tell him. "It is fear. Call it by its right name, and forgive yourself.” 

My first dumping sentence today was about my worst habit - PROCRASTINATION. I labelled it as fear when I wrote about it. It might be true that we have all the answers already, we just haven't taken the time to discover it.

Hooray to dumping - think it's a self care practice keeper!

1 comment:

  1. I also find that when I am struggling with something and im not clear how to solve it or why I am struggling - free writing gives me the answer! It's amazing

    ReplyDelete